Making a claim for financial provision


In an increasing number of instances, children and loved ones who have expected to be financially provided for in a deceased’s Will, are bitterly disappointed when they find they have been left with nothing.
This can have a devastating effect on the individual and their family, who may have been relying upon this money to help them out of a financial difficulty.
If this sounds like you, then you may be able to contest the Will and claim for reasonable financial provision.
Under the Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975, you may either contest the fact that you were left nothing at all, or that you were not left the amount of money to which you are certain you should have been.
Whether or not you can make a claim for reasonable financial provision all depends on your relationship with the deceased, when they were alive.  Current or former spouses, children (blood, adopted and step children), civil partners and anyone who were receiving some kind of financial maintenance from the deceased at the time of death may be eligible.
A reasonable financial provision claim will usually be heard in a court and various aspects of the case will be taken into consideration, including the relationship you had with the deceased, your financial circumstances and the amount of money you were left, if anything at all.

Leave a Reply

Contact us


Call us for a quote, instant help or impartial advice on freephone
0800 612 6105 0800 calls are free - 0333 are local rate - Just click to Call

Or complete the form below